On ‘Moral Idiots’, Amorality, And Charnel Houses

10 May 2016 @ 14:16

I’ve been spending a lot of time on Twitter lately and the two most depressing revelations that have come to me [and they have just been confirmations of what I have witnessed in every corner of RealWorld(tm)] are that (1) many people over the age of, say, forty are totally bereft of any Moral Imagination, lacking, it seems, a understanding of Right Reason; and (2) so many of our young people [under thirty] are living without Purpose, so deprived are they of knowledge of the Beauty Of Life that one senses that Nihilism has made a comfortable home in their Souls.

Then I stumbled across this paragraph written by Mark Malvasi, back in December of 2012:

We must choose between barbarism and civilization. We must, as W. H. Auden put it, either love each other or die. Today, many of our fellow citizens, and perhaps especially our young people, have lost, or never possessed, the restraint and compassion essential to civilized life. Not surprisingly, they have developed a death wish. They perhaps hope that the end will come soon, and even in some instances they attempt to bring it about, for they have lost the ability to cope with life. They have become what the southern essayist Richard Weaver once called “moral idiots,” those incapable of responding to the challenges of being human. Heartless and indifferent, they live not immorally but amorally, without the capacity to tell good from evil or even to measure the extent of their depravity. They may find their progenitor in another young man wielding a pistol, who, nearly a century ago, initiated the ordeal that in the end turned the twentieth century into a charnel house.

Dead solid perfect…sadly.

God help us.

1. 10 May 2016 @ 19:57 19:57

The ascent of social media contributed in no small part to this. As I am fond of saying, social media is anti-social. There is a disconnect when we rely on media to deal with people, instead of doing so in person. One loses emotions and subtleties that are necessary for people so they can grow and flourish.

• 10 May 2016 @ 21:57 21:57

Social Media may be the icing on the cake.

• 10 May 2016 @ 22:02 22:02

Or as my wife so eloquently put it when the precursor to the world wide Web, WebTV, came into our house for the first time…” This is the work of the Devil and nothing good can come of it.”

I’m thinking truer words were never spoken.

Although without the interwebs, I wouldn’t have founds friends like Bob Belvedere or Robert Stacy McCain and others. So I reckon it’s a mixed blessing.

• 11 May 2016 @ 14:24 14:24

Phoebe is a wise woman.

Certainly a mixed blessing, Mike, but, considering where I live, it’s been a lifeline to Sanity through people like you.

• 18 May 2016 @ 12:36 12:36