Dis Ease

30 September 2014 @ 20:39

How you feeling right about now?

Dr. Bob is here to make it all worse…

-From Bryan Preston, we learn [tip of the fedora to Instapundit]:

I’ve just watched the CDC’s press conference on the Ebola patient. He is not a US citizen, though the CDC refused to confirm that outright. He entered the US from Liberia, and was staying with family in the Dallas area. He entered on September 20. On September 24 he entered the hospital with unspecified illness (which we now know is Ebola), but he was sent home. He re-entered the hospital on September 28. He showed no signs or symptoms when he left Liberia.

Darleen Click comments:

Well, I certainly feel relieved that the government is in control of the situation. I’m just brimming with confidence.

Aren’t you?

And CDC Director Frieden said King Barack was ‘leaning forward’ on this whole Ebola thing.  That boosted my faith in this government, I’ll tell you.

Just earlier today, Kent Brantly, one of our recent Ebola survivors, testified before the Congress and said:

Many have used the analogy of a fire burning out of control to describe this unprecedented Ebola outbreak.  Indeed it is a fire — it is a fire straight from the pit of hell. We cannot fool ourselves into thinking that the vast moat of the Atlantic Ocean will protect us from the flames of this fire. Instead, we must mobilize the resources … to keep entire nations from being reduced to ashes.

We can all look forward to a future of leaning forward and collapsing.

-Back on the yesterday’s virulent virus front:

An unusual respiratory virus has sickened more than 400 children across the United States, and the emergence of sudden paralysis in some Colorado youths is sparking concern among doctors.

The nationwide outbreak of enterovirus D68 — which can cause wheezing and coughing — coincided with the hospitalization of nine children due to limb weakness in Colorado since early August, and officials are investigating if there is any link between the two.

The nine children in Colorado “had respiratory illness and later developed neurologic illness,” the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Monday.

In the meantime, experts are struggling to understand why so many young people — ranging in age from one to 18 — have fallen ill from the virus in the past two months.

“It is concerning,” said Robert Glatter, an emergency medicine physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York.

“It is not clear why, given the widespread nature of this virus, at this point it is now showing some neurological symptoms in a very small portion of patients,” he told AFP.

“The investigation is ongoing to find if there is a link.”

Eight of the nine children afflicted with paralysis are up to date on their polio vaccines.

Some are reported to be improving, and it remains unclear whether or not their paralysis will be permanent.

Ah, Polio!  We missed ya!

Iron-Lung-001bx

Happy Days Are Here Again!

Perhaps we should rename this virus the Illegal-Enterovirus D666?

Nah…that would hit too close to the Truth, too close to home [kinda like the viruses themselves].

‘TB or not TB?’ — that is the question.

I don’t know about you, but I’m investing heavily in Haz-Mat Suit futures.

1. 30 September 2014 @ 21:00 21:00

Wait, wait…they sent him home? Given all the screaming and yelling about Ebola coming across the border….and they sent him home?

2. Adobe_Walls permalink
    30 September 2014 @ 21:32 21:32

Allow me to assure you it can be even worse than we know.

“INSIGHT-US hospitals unprepared to handle Ebola waste”

3. 01 October 2014 @ 08:46 08:46

HazMat suit? I prefer the Mike Brown DIY method: duct tape and plastic sheeting. FWIW, I know we used to be good at things like disease containment — and I’m crossing my fingers hoping we still are — but the current clown show doesn’t instill the highest level of confidence. Heckuva job, Barky.

• thecampofthesaints permalink
      01 October 2014 @ 11:28 11:28

I’ve been working for the government for over thirty years and I can tell you that there’s been a marked decline in quality when it comes to handling the truly serious stuff.

Be worried – be very worried.

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 8:46 AM, The Camp Of The Saints wrote:

• rkae permalink
        01 October 2014 @ 12:36 12:36

Marked decline in government work? Like guarding the White House, for example?

Man! All I could picture was that scene in “Monty Python & The Holy Grail” where Lancelot stabs one guard and charges through the door and the other guard says blankly, “…………………Hey.”

• 01 October 2014 @ 17:36 17:36

CDC & USGS (and a few others) were agencies I used to think were worth the tax dollars. I don’t know if I think that anymore.

4. Adobe_Walls permalink
    01 October 2014 @ 21:22 21:22

I’m somewhat alarmed that no one is alarmed at my alarmism.

• 01 October 2014 @ 21:28 21:28

Jaded to the Max.

• Adobe_Walls permalink
        02 October 2014 @ 04:15 04:15

Did you read the article I linked above and the one I linked a couple weeks ago about airborne transmission?

• 02 October 2014 @ 21:25 21:25

Yes. The fact is: Ebola can be transmitted via a sneeze, if you’re close enough or in a room with no air exchange. The CDC…don’t get me started on those arses.

• rkae permalink
      02 October 2014 @ 01:12 01:12

I’ve been severely down on the stupidity/corruption of our CDC, AMA and all the rest for a couple of decades now.

“Jaded”? No. But this mess was inevitable.

5. 02 October 2014 @ 04:08 04:08

Quality posts is the key to be a focus for the users to pay a visit the website, that’s what this site is providing.

6. David R. Graham permalink
    02 October 2014 @ 10:16 10:16

“Never let a crisis go to waste.” This is a prime opportunity to practice the central doctrine of environmentalism: human eliminationism. While I condemn the doctrine, I sympathize with the feelings of its adherents: anyone stupid enough to vote for us — including us — is merely taking up space better used by other organisms.

Also, I was in one of those iron lungs, just as pictured, for three months in 1949-1950. The last polio epidemic, made the feds get serious, they hired Salk. All paid for by the March of Dimes. My parents could not afford to keep me alive.

1. Dallas: Second Ebola Case? | Regular Right Guy