Regarding The Death Of Gore Vidal…

02 August 2012 @ 08:29

Two observations…

-I am in total agreement with the spirit William F. Buckley’s sentiments as expressed on television in 1968:

Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I’ll sock you in your goddamn face, and you’ll stay plastered.

WFB would also later describe Vidal accurately as an ‘evangelist for bisexuality’.

-As for Vidal as a writer: I read Burr and Lincoln and though them both well-written, but something unsettled me about them that I could not quite figure out at the time. While reading the next volumes, 1876 and Empire, I discovered part of the answer: Vidal was seeking to portray the American Experience as ridiculous, as something to be sniffed at and poo-pooed because it was so ‘bourgeois’, so dreadfully ‘common’.

Later, I sussed-out the rest of the answer: Vidal was seeking to normalize perverted behavior and denigrate all that was good and true and noble. He spent his life wallowing in a hellish depravity and he wanted to drag everyone else down into his fetid, sewage-filled gutter. Vidal was a Libertine and a Nihilist – in other words, a standard Leftist, albeit one who had a great talent for fiction writing. It is with some satisfaction that I know he has now gone to meet a very disappointed Maker and answer for his crimes against Decency and Morality and Truth.

See also: Michele Bachmann’s life-changing experience [tip of the fedora to Memeorandum].

1. Gunga permalink
    02 August 2012 @ 14:27 14:27

“He spent his life wallowing in a hellish depravity….”

I wonder if a good sock in chops on national TV might not have caused him to reevaluate his life.

• 02 August 2012 @ 17:15 17:15

He was incapable of reevaluating anything, but his nihilism did cause others to reevaluate such as Bachmann. The liquor IV kept him alive longer than would otherwise have been possible.

2. formwiz permalink
    02 August 2012 @ 17:54 17:54

I was watching when that happened. My family watched ABC’s convention coverage just to see The Real Odd Couple as they were billed.

Buckley had been killing Vidal on his arguments so Vidal, in true Lefty fashion, got nasty and Buckley told him off.

For the rest of the convention, they had to be kept partitioned from each other, Buckley was so mad.

• 02 August 2012 @ 19:40 19:40

I wish I had seen the whole thing – my brother did.

3. theebl permalink
    02 August 2012 @ 18:44 18:44

When I heard the news, the first thing I did was post the video. I did not hate Gore Vidal, I considered him a wasted talent. He was talented. He could write. But there was something sick and twisted at his core.

4. Rosalie permalink
    03 August 2012 @ 14:29 14:29

I remember reading about that incident but forget how funny that quote was.

5. 03 August 2012 @ 17:29 17:29

I was a keen reader of Vidal at one time, but today you’ll only find Julian and A Search For The King on my shelves. Creation was interesting on the first read; on the second, the dry wit seemed heavy-handed.
    The popularity of Myra Breckenridge is a complete mystery to me. What the hell were people smoking back in 1969?

• 03 August 2012 @ 20:44 20:44

They were smoking a lot of different things, as I recall.