Cain’s Amtrak Train Derails

03 December 2011 @ 17:56

As you must know by now, Herman Cain has ‘suspended’ his campaign for the Republican Nomination.

Stacy McCain, who has been subjected to maltreatment by the Campaign, offers a primer for explaining this situation to your children and offer’s a reporter’s thoughts:

My 12-year-old son Jefferson asked, ‘What does ‘suspending’ mean?” It means “quit.” Cain will still be on the ballot in several states. He could, if he chose, resume the campaign at some future point, but in general, “suspend = quit.”

The good news? J.D. Gordon is now unemployed.

More good news? My “sources close to the campaign” can now speak on the record about who was responsible for screwing up.

And finally, for those of my friends worried about my future diplomatic career, it’s still morning in Vanuatu. IYKWIMAITYD.

I will be very curious to see what Stacy unearths about the Little Engine That Couldn’t in the coming weeks.  We all know that he got a raw deal from the Campaign, but it will be very educational to see from the inside how it all went wrong.

Joe, over at NovaTownHall, gives us a telling lesson in a wonderfully entitled posting Cain Train Agonistes [tip of the fedora to Stacy McCain on Twitter]:

And now that that’s a wrap, I guess it’s safe to relate my personal lasting impression of the Herman Cain presidential campaign. After being invited to his event in Tyson’s Corner last week by a local Cain campaign representative, with the intention of writing a favorable blog post about the candidate (technically speaking, a puff piece), upon showing up, finding the person who invited me and talking to a slew of campaign people, I was shunted off to a downstairs media holding room for over 2 hours while the event was going on. Along with 14 or so official media folks, I sat around waiting for the candidate to show up, which a Cain campaign staff member had said would happen at some point.

Then, we were informed Herman Cain would not be visiting the media area, and a few minutes later we were unceremoniously and hurriedly escorted upstairs by a security goon, out the door and about 30 yards down the McLean Hilton driveway and left, literally, standing in the middle of the road – no sidewalk, no lobby … and certainly no chance to see any portion of the event or get any basis on which to write something nice about Herman Cain….

Please do take the time to click here and read the rest of the story.

That ain’t no way to run a railroad…and now the Train is off the tracks.

I started preparing a post yesterday looking at all of the GOP candidates and explaining why I could or could not vote for them.  I may still publish that soon, if I can finish it, but the paragraph about Herman Cain won’t be in it, of course, now, so I’ll produce it here:

Herman Cain is becoming unacceptable because (1) he is oblivious to the fact that being President is not like being a CEO, that there is much more to it than that, (2) it doesn’t speak well of him that he did not prepare his staff for the allegations that he says he knew would be coming…and (3) he does not see his lack of knowledge of certain issues that every President must deal with as a problem.

However, I think it imperative that we not forget that this whole affair [pun intended], despite the incompetence of Mr. Cain and his campaign, was a successful mission carried out in a joint operation by the Left and the GOP and Conservative Establishments.  Tonight they’re toasting their victory with chocolate-ginger micro-brewed ales, with wine made with organically grown grapes, and with mixed drinks only consumed by women forty years ago.  See no evil [Conservative Establishment pundits], hear no evil [GOP elected and appointed officials], and Evil [the Left] have a right to celebrate their triumph.  But we the beaten must never forget what they’ve done, we must never forgive [that’s God’s job — He’ll sort them out], and we must regroup and be more prepared this time to fight another day in this long struggle to restore our freedoms and liberties.

If I can, I’ll offer some more links to commentary and analysis tomorrow and some more of my own thoughts, but, frankly, it’s Maker’s Mark Time, so I’m off [Rule 5 Saturday will appear at 1812 hours].

1. Adobe Walls permalink
    03 December 2011 @ 18:11 18:11

As I commented in the previous post that this valiant, but ultimately doomed effort, (in my opinion) ended rather than failed is the result of the absence of an actual VRWC.
    Your paragraph states in part why HC never sealed the deal for me.
    As for Stacy I get the impression he’ll now exit the Cain Train and board the Santorum Ship. One has to admire his principled embrace of lost causes, I’m coming to the conclusion that’s what we are all doing.

04 December 2011 @ 19:16 19:16

Me too.

Ah, well, at least we’re doing the right thing.

2. 03 December 2011 @ 18:16 18:16

It does not make sense the he disdained being the “detective” and didn’t want anyone else to be the “detective” either (as heard on Hannity). He should have said, I’ve never flown her anywhere, including to any of my own destinations and I’ve never given her a gift my wife would not approve of. It would have been over.

I understand that he is innocent until proven guilty, but we are not a court of law and we have to think for ourselves. For his lack of good judgement and failure to make this easier for the voters, I’m glad he is out of the race.

04 December 2011 @ 19:17 19:17

Frankly, I was geeting exhausted defending him.

The Left won…but partially because he waged the wrong kind of war.

• Adobe Walls permalink
        05 December 2011 @ 07:02 07:02

If he had only stabbed David Gregory in the eye with a pen when he had the opportunity none of this would have ever happened. Moral there.

05 December 2011 @ 20:25 20:25

Perhaps the most important lesson to come out of this election season!

3. 03 December 2011 @ 18:58 18:58

Pity, Maggie. Would you have also condemned Thomas Jefferson for his dalliances (which, by the way were proven?) Hmmm…. a country with the mindset that someone’s indescretions equal piss-poor policy decisions completely escapes me…… Guess Newt gets a free pass.

I read that Newt would take Cain. Guess that’ll be my route.(we can’t all be saints, Bob) Really dig Ron Paul, though….

• Adobe Walls permalink
      03 December 2011 @ 20:45 20:45

I for one and I don’t think Maggie above put any credence in the allegations against Cain, his ineptness in defending himself in these instances was more than a little disconcerting.

• 03 December 2011 @ 22:45 22:45

I suppose my point is why should he have to? What if Thomas Jefferson had been booted for his “flaws” in moral character?

I still think a person with good character can separate work time from personal time. The POTUS will push the agenda of his ideologies whether he’s getting his c*** sucked on the side or not. Ooomph! I do beg your pardon, to be sure! I get a bit randy at times. I’ve got some Dove and will rinse my mouth out now…..

Please know I’m not condoning infidelity for the POTUS; it’s just an issue that I feel should be a person’s private business and not the country’s.

• Adobe Walls permalink
          04 December 2011 @ 07:18 07:18

Cain wasn’t booted for flaws in his character though he undoubtedly loss some supporters who thought there was/could be some substance to the charges. Cain had to drop out due to flaws in his execution, and his general lack of preparedness.

4. 04 December 2011 @ 09:37 09:37

I feel like he made the wrong move. He could have been tapped for the VP, but now? No way. When you pull a Micheal Jackson and throw in the towel, it creates an uneasiness in public perception. Oh, and I agree with you that he was ill-prepared, but he seemed to be a quick-study.

And now I’m off to talk of the wisdom of Solomon….

5. formwiz permalink
    04 December 2011 @ 15:01 15:01

This is another slime job by the Left, although Herman, as others state here, probably lost more points because he refused to hit the briefing book.

Anybody want to bet that, like Ray Donovan, Newt, and Scooter Libby, these allegations will eventually be disproved?

And we can’t seem to figure out why the real best and brightest of this country don’t want to go into public life.

04 December 2011 @ 19:20 19:20

Well put.

6. 04 December 2011 @ 18:12 18:12

I figured he was going to quit when that presser was announced.
    Frankly, I’m glad he’s gone, he was a big distraction, and his choice in women were pretty fugly. Bottom of the barrell gold diggin ho’s. Whether it’s all true or not isn’t the point now. It was becoming a joke. I don’t think he was really really serious anyway. He just wanted to up his street cred, sell books, and now clean up on the lecture circuit, making more money. Now, if ron paul, and some of the others would get out, we could get to business.