Aaron Zelman, R.I.P.

15 February 2011 @ 19:34

From our good Friend In The Ether, Ran, proprietor of Si Vis Pacem, comes the news that a tireless fight for freedom and liberty has died.

Aaron Zelman was the founder and guiding light of Jews For The Preservation Of Firearms Ownership [JPFO]:

To destroy “gun control” and to encourage Americans to understand and defend all of the Bill of Rights for everyone. Those are the twin goals of Wisconsin-based Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO). Founded by Jews and initially aimed at educating the Jewish community about the historical evils that Jews have suffered when they have been disarmed, JPFO has always welcomed persons of all religious beliefs who share a common goal of opposing and reversing victim disarmament policies while advancing liberty for all.

Before I read the posting by Ran, I had not heard of Mr. Zelman, but, after reading the JPFO tribute page and surfing through their main site, I must say that I wish I had known him.  He is much admired and respected and loved.

From L. Neil Smith:

Aaron Zelman was a man uniquely driven by principle.

He did not believe in any moderation, gradualism, a “meeting of the minds”, nor in “reaching across the aisle” to what he perceived as evil. He knew, down to the bone, as well as he knew his own name, that any compromise with evil is — evil.

Aaron believed in doing what is right, and he acted, not just consistently with logic and common sense, but in accordance with precepts validated by four thousand years of accumulated Biblical wisdom. On the other hand, he believed the greatest obstacle to reclaiming liberty does not lie in the ideas, words, or deeds of those who are evil, but in the way so many otherwise decent individuals cherish and defend their victimhood.

Sounds like a true Wolverine.

At the time of his death, Mr. Zelman was working with Rabbi Dovid Bendory, JPFO Rabbinic Director, on getting their new collaboration, No Guns For Jews, distributed, free-of-charge, to synagogues around the country.  It is a defense of the right to bear arms and a call for Jews and non-Jews to no longer be victims.  You can download it here.

1. 15 February 2011 @ 21:19 21:19

Memory eternal to a hero for liberty.

2. Wagtube permalink
    15 February 2011 @ 23:14 23:14

A little slow on this one my friend, but I forgive you. We cheeseheads will miss this man dearly for what he accomplished for sportsmen and hunters in WI. Not to mention the right of any human to protect themselves. I still find it amazing the statements from friends of mine against gun ownership. I tell them the story of me looking down the sights of my .45 down the hallway at 2 men in my house with my wife asleep in our bed with a simple question. “What would you do?” Have yet to receive an adequate answer. They sprinted out of the house never to return. Thank you for posting this, and sorry for the poor sentence structure.

3. 15 February 2011 @ 23:54 23:54

Thank you very much Bob. I’ve proudly been a member of Mr. Zelman’s JPFO. When I checked-in to renew, I found the tribute. Aaron was a hero of mine. I still don’t have the clarity to write a decent post – so thank you for yours.

We should be a light unto others – perhaps even if that light is used to shine onto the Constitution it will be worth everything. G-d bless.

4. bobbelvedere permalink*
    16 February 2011 @ 19:13 19:13

Karen: Amen.

Wagtube: My only defense is that there are so many intrepid Sons & Daughters Of Liberty out there that you can know of, let alone know, every one.

Ran: Thank you for bringing this wonderful man to my attention.

5. Wagtube permalink
    16 February 2011 @ 21:10 21:10

Well said Bob. I know how busy you’ve been. I admit that my view of your site has gone from like to love. Keep it up. Thank you Ran for sending this info.
    Keep your eyes on Scott Walker. He’s got some brass ones. I’ll try to send you the link tomorrow of the lefts civility in Madison tomorrow.

6. bobbelvedere permalink*
    18 February 2011 @ 19:25 19:25

Wagtube: That would be a John Wayne-ish, Gary Cooper-ish kind of love, I hope.

1. Manic In The Morning: Jew Won’t Believe This | The Camp Of The Saints