Wacht Am GOP

21 September 2010 @ 10:10

The Republican Party is set to release it’s agenda going forward towards the November Elections this Thursday at a hardware store in Virginia.

Over at The Other McCain, Smitty offers a few thoughts that are right on the money.  Here’s one:

Clearly the agenda is going to fall short of whatever the harder-core Tea Party attendees (that’s me) would have sought. Patience. The current situation has been a century in the brewing, and shall be un-baked neither quickly nor simply nor painlessly. Let’s keep the feedback positive and concise. Or, as I learned a couple of decades ago, railing at length earns nothing but contempt from a weary audience.

Damn fine way to approach it.  And I will have that patience if they get the fundamentals right.  If the GOP still exhibits the deep depth cluelessness they have shown in the past eighteen months, then they must be fought.  The agenda must be amended.  There’s no point in going along with this if the fundamentals suck.

However, I remain hopeful that they’ve finally got a modicum of understanding, that they’ve had a Come-To-Jesus moment, but I still cast a weary eye their way.

1. 21 September 2010 @ 10:59 10:59

Bob, time will tell. I hope they “get it”.

21 September 2010 @ 11:51 11:51

Bunni: As you can see, I remain cynical.

2. 21 September 2010 @ 12:00 12:00

As long as we have more rope and lampposts than politicians, why should we settle. Call it the Mussolini vote…

21 September 2010 @ 13:32 13:32

Richard: That’s the spirit!

3. 22 September 2010 @ 19:10 19:10

Hey look, a comment without reading the full text!

Yes, I haven’t read Smitty’s post yet, but would like to comment on the quote you provided. Not to pick on Smitty, who after all, is a man after my own heart (for understanding and railing against the Fed among other things), but simply to make a point.

Let’s keep the feedback positive and concise.

Politicians understand and react to one thing and one thing only. FEAR. Keep the carrots and positive feedback to a minimum. Get out the Big Stick and hold their feet to the fire instead!

You, me … “We the People” are in charge. We are the leaders. Politicians are servants, employees who we don’t know personally at that. Do not trust them. Watch them like a hawk.

When they screw up, bring the pain. Make sure they understand how fragile their position is, and that you’re more than happy to replace them with any name out of the phone book, regardless of ideology*, if and when they refuse to listen to you.

Politicians are not your friends, your heroes, and for God’s sake, never, ever your leaders! Politicians need to understand this, but “We the People” need to wrap our heads around it first. Our founding generations understood this well. Distrust of power and politics is indeed our heritage. Embrace it! We were smarter 200+ years ago.

Modernism is a myth. We need no more government today, than we did in 1776 (yes, prior to the Constitution). Providing politicians power while turning them into “leaders,” was a grave mistake (to say the least).

Don’t think so? We now live in what is effectively a police state, spend over 50% of our incomes on taxes, and the government is effectively insolvent to boot. Even Alexander “Big Government” Hamilton would be calling for a new Revolution! “His Rotundity” John Adams would be calling for their heads! King George III was a piker compared to what we deal with now (regardless of which political party is in charge).

I remain hopeful that they’ve finally got a modicum of understanding …

Don’t waste your faith on petty politicians. Provide no quarter. Pat ’em on the head when they do well, but never, ever put away that Big Stick!

*A small price to pay to keep the big picture in perspective. Better the devil you know, than a trader in conservative clothing.

4. bobbelvedere permalink*
    23 September 2010 @ 08:39 08:39

TheCL: Well put.

To clarify the quote from me that you reference: if they’ve now got this understanding, it is only because they fear us. The type of people who make careers out of politics seem to only respond to fear and 2×4’s judiciously utilized.

5. Adobe Walls permalink
    23 September 2010 @ 10:51 10:51

Remember apply 2×4 across the EYEs.

6. 23 September 2010 @ 18:18 18:18

Bob,

To clarify the quote from me that you reference

For the longest time, even though my interests have always been much further right than the Republican Party (based on the traditional straight-line scale), I always gave them the benefit of the doubt. Again, even when I was aware of blatant corruption and lies, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Must be just a few bad apples. I’ve always given the conservative movement the benefit of the doubt too, mostly because through my eyes, it’s still my grandfathers Taft-led movement.

I can’t tell you exactly when, but I eventually had my own come to Jesus moment. I’ve talked about it before. You know how I argue, I was a great partisan hack, even pro-current wars … but I became troubled by all the talk of Bush “saving” us, politicians being “leaders,” and the Republican Party coming to represent everything. Calling antiwar conservatives “unpatriotic” pushed me over the edge, made me question with boldness, everything. EVERYTHING!

I’m now the worst partisan hack on the planet and proud of it. I’ve always liked Ron Paul due to my being an econ geek, but once I realized he is literally the reincarnation of Robert A. Taft … I came to question even the movement itself, because of its vicious attacks on him. It’s like attacking my grandfathers beliefs. Talk about fighting words. The modern right is as ideologically opposed to the old right, as it is to today’s left. Just in different ways.

So forgive me when my rhetoric gets a little strong. It’s the only way I know how to make a point. I want folks on the right to know that there is another kind of conservatism. One that supports smaller government, strict fiscal discipline, rejects war Keynesianism, rejects foreign, corporate and social welfare, and wouldn’t trust a politician if said politician were Thomas Jefferson himself.

As an economics/finance guy, I know the reality we face. It will end in tears. It will end in tears. It will end in tears. And I see the faces of my nieces and nephews in my mind as I think about these things, then read people (not you btw) daily, still cheerleading the Republican Party … and I can’t help to believe that if the conservative movement had just stuck to its Taft-style anti-State guns, we wouldn’t be looking into the dark abyss where we now find ourselves staring.

Don’t take my strong rhetoric personally, but simply as a message. The true enemies “We the American People” face aren’t cavemen on the other side of the globe, not even close … The real enemies are about 540 of the 545 residing in Washington DC.

Boy, that was like a confession. Am I like Catholic now or something now? 😯

7. bobbelvedere permalink*
    24 September 2010 @ 08:53 08:53

TheCL: That was pretty damn Catholic of you.

I don’t take it personally [if you noticed, in my reply to you and Etrnity Road’s Francis Poretto, I attacked Poretto directly as a man because he insulted me personally, but not you].

I consider you one of my good Friends In The Ether. I think you do your argument no good when your get too strident. Or, at least, I think stridency is fine [I do it], but you should leaven it with some humor, as I do. You’ve got an important case to make that should be heard.