Rule 5 Saturday

28 August 2010 @ 18:12

Robert ‘Bob’ Belvedere here, speaking in my capacity as Pope Voluptuosus I, leader on Earth of the Holy Rule 5 See

For the past six weeks, the Starz cable broadcast network has featured a mini-series based on Ken Follett’s bestselling novel The Pillars Of The Earth.  It is the story of a group of people, historical and fictional, caught-up in dark times in England known as The Nineteen-Year Winter, when the treacherous King Stephen [there has never been another did battle with the previous King Henry I’s daughter Maude over control of the Throne of Fair Albion.  She is the mother of the future great King, Henry II, one of the best leaders The West has ever produced.  I would urge you to watch the Starz dramatization as it is quite well-done.

One of the main characters in the story is Ellen, who is declared a witch by the corrupt Bishop [portrayed by the great Ian McShane], but is actually a good person and the mother of one of the main heroes.  In the mini-series, Ellen is portrayed by the talented and lovely actress Natalia Worner.  Though I often claim that They Don’t Make ‘Em Like That Anymore, sometimes they do make ’em like that now — as in the case of Miss Worner, who is our Rule 5 Gal Of The Week…

NATALIA WÖRNER…

from The Pillars Of The Earth

1. 28 August 2010 @ 19:26 19:26

Pillars of the Earth…great book, read it three times. The much anticipated sequel, World Without End was also a very good read, but you have to read “Pillars” to get keep with the story line.

Mike

2. 28 August 2010 @ 20:17 20:17

I can see the attraction.

29 August 2010 @ 18:53 18:53

Kid: She’s a type you don’t see too often these days, sadly.

3. 28 August 2010 @ 21:22 21:22

Hey Bob,

You sure go the extra nine yards on your rule 5, I stayed in the safety zone,,,lol,,nice post.

29 August 2010 @ 18:56 18:56

Christopher: Thanks.

4. 29 August 2010 @ 12:00 12:00

LOVED Pillars of the Earth- found the sequel to be sacriligeous- a nun who has an abortion, then becomes the head of the abbey, then leaves it for her lover- simply unbelieveable for the time period, and there was other such filth in the sequel.

Wish we had Starz on our cable system- would have watched the miniseries- (actually anything recommended by His Holiness, Pope Voluptuous I)

29 August 2010 @ 19:06 19:06

Agnes: I’m not surprised that Follett did that. I was quite disappointed that he went PC in the first one with the sodomite monk. The series should be available on DVD soon, from the buzz I’ve been hearing. One good thing that has come out of viewing it is that I was able to convince Mrs. B. to let me purchase some Brother Cadfael episodes.

5. 29 August 2010 @ 19:13 19:13

Mrs B was reluctant to have Brother Cadfael in the house? Am surprised- wonderful books and series.

BTW- the actress playing Ellen is a perfect choice- she is how I envisioned Ellen as I read the book!

Forgot about the sodomite monk in the first book!

29 August 2010 @ 19:38 19:38

Agnes: It took me twelve years to get her to agree to watch The Prisoner [which we will be doing soon]. What was so disappointing about the monk story line was that the whole series had been un-PC and I thought ‘Ah, finally, a series without it!’ and then, in the final episode, WHACK!…sympathy for the buggerer who had attacked young boys.

6. 30 August 2010 @ 16:46 16:46

Ain’t that always the way! Bloody sodomites- sometimes I wish we could still burn them at the stake!

7. 30 August 2010 @ 21:05 21:05

If you have Netflix, you can watch it on your computer.

1. Sorta Blogless Sunday Pinup » Pirate's Cove