My Fisking ‘Tis Of Thee

26 August 2010 @ 10:45

As long-suffering readers of TCOTS well know, I loves me a good Fisking in the morning.  It starts my day off right, helping boost my morale high enough so that I can lift my shield, unsheath my broadsword, and head-off to fight the Bolshevik Menace once again on the plains before Mordor.

Smitty is one of the finest practitioners of the Le Art de Fisk.  Unlike many of us when we practice it, he cuts through the bromides and pablum of the Fiskee with the cool dexterity of a neurosurgeon wielding a scalpel on an exposed brain.

Today Smitty operates on Michael Gerson, who has penned another muddle-headed mound of moldy mush entitled Why The Tea Party Is Toxic For The GOP [do I smell a whiff of rank cluelessness in the air?].

A highlight:

In the normal course of events, political movements begin as intellectual arguments, often conducted for years in serious books and journals. To study the Tea Party movement, future scholars will sift through the collected tweets of Sarah Palin. Without a history of clarifying, refining debates, Republicans need to ask three questions of candidates rising on the Tea Party wave.

Palin will form an input, true, and this is an op-ed, sure, but, really: you’re over-simplifying. Alinsky Rule #12 is predicated on an ignorant audience. If everyone at the show understands the sleight of hand, it’s not terribly magical, is it?

Zing!  I love the smell of Smitty Fisking in the morning — it smells like…Victory.

Please do take the time to read the whole inspiring Fisk.

Mr. Gerson wants the ‘intellectual arguments’ and ‘serious’ discussions to happen so that any initiatives arising from average Americans can be put through the same manufacturing process as puréed foods are — with the same results.  He wants the elites to refine the substance right out of the arguments so he and his Elite compatriots can prevent a repeat of the ‘horrors’ of the late 18th Century that were perpetrated by the likes of the Adams’s, Washington, Jefferson, and Henry, et. al.

1. 26 August 2010 @ 11:08 11:08

The intellectual arguments upon which Palin’s arguments depend were conducted by the Founding Fathers. That’s how far back her political movement goes.

Academic hacks and bozos feel compelled to reinvent the wheel, and they flatter themselves that they come up with “new” arguments, but there truly is nothing new under the sun, and it’s a sign of true education when one can distill the lessons of history and form conclusions based on them.

26 August 2010 @ 11:24 11:24

Steven: Hear, hear.

2. 26 August 2010 @ 12:22 12:22

Bob,
    What was your take on the tabular format? Worth repeating?
    It’s actually not hard to lay out.
    R,
    C

26 August 2010 @ 13:43 13:43

Smitty: I left a response at your posting.

3. 26 August 2010 @ 16:42 16:42

Gerson is all to seek. He thinks Sarah Palin defines the Tea Party Movement? The Tea Party Movement is independent of the GOP, or any politician in the GOP. Sarah Palin just happens to hold many of the traditional, conservative, American values that resonate with the Tea Party activists, but hey, anyone can play. The more people that ascribe to limited government (comprised of limited government expenditures and limited regulation and taxation) and greater freedom the better. As Steven says, these are ideals spoken of in the nations founding documents. They were an attempt to give the government to the people, that the people may live in freedom. The tea party movement is a response to government run amuck.

Belittling, mis-characterizing and mis-understanding the constitutionally protected right of the people to peaceably protest and influence their government not only is arrogantly elitist, but it belies an ignorance of the nation’s Constitutional guarantees.

26 August 2010 @ 16:57 16:57

Nicholas: Spot-on. Look, I was afflicted with a touch of elitism in the early 1980’s and I know how the bastards think [thank God I ended up working in a boiler room where the guys there saved me from a life like Gerson’s and Frum’s and Brooks’s]. I can tell you, deep-down, these nimrods are just as bad as the Left in that they think they are part of an minority of Enlightened Ones.