Rally ‘Round The Flag: Total War

13 July 2010 @ 14:45

Over at Carol’s Closet, Carol likens her decision to join the TEA Party Movement to a deathbed religious conversion.  A highlight:

I consistently voted for the Republican candidates because the Republican Party was the party of life and national defense. I may have grumbled, privately, when my party backed policies that were fiscally irresponsible but I sucked up any misgivings because I believed that even the worst Republican was better than any Democrat. Then, at lightning speed, while I meandered through my comfortable little life, my country plunged deep in to debt and as a matter of policy just kept spending. Hallelujah, I saw the light!

This country can not continue on its current spending spree and I suddenly realized that if I continued to vote for every (R) on the ballot without holding them accountable for the decisions that they make on my behalf then the moral is failing is mine. It is my grandchildren who will live in a diminished society if I am too lazy to stand up.

I am now taking responsibility for my citizenship and the Tea Party is my mentor. It is the Tea Party that I look to for support. Because of the Tea Party I am not alone and I have a voice.

It seems to me that many of us on the Right have similar stories.  So many of us enjoyed the ‘reserve funds of freedom and liberty’ built up over the years by those who came before us that we were able to glide along blithely telling ourselves this situation would never end, while at the same time the Left was slowing marching through every single institution, infecting all things therein with their mutated thinking and dastardly schemes.

Well, now, a lot of us have seen the light and we’re not going to allow it to be snuffed out again or blocked.  Our eyes are wide open and are going to stay that way even if it means we sacrifice our lives and our fortunes, or that we spill our blood.

The Left will not defeat us; only we, by closing our eyes and letting their darkness envelope us, will bring about the failure of our cause.

In another posting from the same day, Carol comments on a very good posting by Legal Insurrection’s William Jacobson entitled A Time To Choose Sides.  He believes we are witnessing the economic and cultural collapse of what he labels ‘the liberal welfare state’ [I would substitute the word ‘Progressive’ for ‘Liberal’] and writes:

“Free the economy” should be the chant.

We are coming to the point at which Americans will have to choose sides. Will it be the bottom-up free enterprise model upon which this country was built, or the top-down command economy in which Washington, D.C. politicians and government employees centrally plan the economy and our lives?

Whatever the imperfections of our economic system, Americans clearly do not want the alternative.

Democrats will pay the price politically for kicking the nation when it was down, for using a crisis to force through what the American people did not want, and for insulting those who objected.

The Democratic death grip is about to be broken. Because we still have choices.

Hear, hear.

One quibble with the good Professor: It is not simply the Democrats who must pay the price — vanquishing them is not enough.  We must defeat utterly Leftism and, in accomplishing that task, many in the GOP must be put down, as it were.  In the first posting by Carol that I cited, in a part I did not quote, she describes the plain facts of her Come-To-Jesus moment as converting ‘from a “card carrying Republican” to a Conservative and Tea Party activist’.  Carol understands that this about something greater than political parties.

Our fight to restore our freedoms and liberties is not a struggle against any one party — it is a war against an idea: collectivism.  This ravaging cancer knows no boundaries; no area is off-limits to it’s insidious reach.  We have all been infected with it to varying degrees as have all areas of American Society.  This is a war on many fronts and one of the hardest ones is located in our own souls.  We have to be prepared to, in a sense, reprogram ourselves.  I think we are doing just that, but we must be ever vigilant.

One final thought: in the posting where she quotes from Professor Jacobson, Carol writes:

…If we do not turn things around in November our way of life won’t just be gone for a generation or a few generations, it will be gone….

I must disagree.  There will still be a chance to achieve the restoration of our freedoms and liberties, but, at that point, we will have to answer some Questions We Can No Longer Avoid.

1. Adobe Walls permalink
    13 July 2010 @ 15:42 15:42

We must crush the left utterly. They must be totally eliminated from our social,economic, cultural and political life and institutions. They should not be harmed physically but I want decent people to point at them and hiss as they return to their homes under a bridge.

13 July 2010 @ 16:40 16:40

Your first two sentences are spot-on. I fear, however, that we may have to ‘take up arms against a sea of troubles / and by opposing, end them’.

• Adobe Walls permalink
        13 July 2010 @ 20:08 20:08

The last sentence is my preferred outcome, I can visualize other outcomes. When I was a concrete construction superintendent and one of my guys did something they’d often ask if was going to fire them. If their screw-up wasn’t too bad ie, too expensive I’d often assure them that if I fired them then I couldn’t abuse them. I’m not deluded as to where this struggle may be headed after all I am Adobe Walls.

2. 13 July 2010 @ 16:30 16:30

Bob,

I’m afraid she’s closer to the truth than any of us wish to accept, but unfortunately, the truth is much worse. Please stop by and read my latest post “Prepare for More Bank Bailouts,” then peruse my “economic” category for more. We’re in serious trouble. It won’t be radical Islam that takes us down, but our own government. If conservatives spent just 25% of the time they do focusing on cavemen living on the other side of the globe on the economy* instead, maybe we’d have a fighting chance. But the coming November elections simply aren’t enough to turn things around, no matter how bad we wish it to be true.

We’re doomed.

*Not from the (Keynesian) Weekly Standard or the National Review either. I’m talking real economics – Austrian School (Mises, Hayek, Hazlitt, Rothbard, et. al.).

13 July 2010 @ 16:42 16:42

You are correct: a huge victory in November would just be our Midway.

We have to prepare ourselves mentally for a loss of luxuary.

• 14 July 2010 @ 00:22 00:22

This post, and comments inspire both faith in our nation, and dread. I can’t help but ask if this is what the founders experienced as they contemplated their revolution? The outcome is in doubt, and people of conscience contemplate the options.

I have to hope that all of this can be done peacefully. I also agree with Bob in that, hopefully, November is our Midway. However, that also means that we have years, if not decades of steady fighting to go.

CL, I hope you’re wrong, but I fear you’re correct.

3. 13 July 2010 @ 20:14 20:14

Welfare states are collapsing worlwide. The only difference between us and the rest of the world is our drunked politicians refuse to put down the bottle.

We must defeat the progressives, but we must also hold republicans’ feet to the fire. If they get a majority, we need them runnin’ scared, not kicking back for business as usual.

This time next year, I want libs standing slack-jawed as we treat them as the irrelevancy that they are and focus our attention and continuing tea parties on holding up the good republicans (like Paul Ryan and Jim DeMint) and excoriating the quisling progressives in GOP clothing.

13 July 2010 @ 20:48 20:48