‘Towering On The Court And Towering, Larger Still, In Character’

20 June 2010 @ 19:22

Former 7’6″ NBA basketball player Manute Bol passed away at the age of forty-seven recently.  Many remember him as the tallest player ever to play in the big league basketball, but, as his friend Pam Geller explains, he should be honored for something else [tip of the fedora to Smitty]:

Former NBA player and Dinka tribesman Manute Bol and his best friend went to over 39 Congressmen personally and met with the Pentagon in the 90’s telling them that their people were being decimated by the Arab Muslims from the North and would disappear if the US did not help. He said they got nothing.

…So Manute reached into his own pockets in the millions to help support the starving refugees who had witnessed their homes and families destroyed.

And so Bol was broke. So much so that former NBA friends held a benefit to raise $$ for his huge health bills after a drunk cab driver flipped a car Bol was in.

He was a warrior against Jihad who gladly sacrificed his wealth and time to battle the Muslims who were ravaging his native country Sudan.

According to Wikipedia, the name ‘Manute’ means ‘special blessing’.  He was indeed.

Requiescat in pace.

1. 21 June 2010 @ 02:33 02:33

I had no idea. I remember the contrasts made when he came into the league with Spud Webb. Thanks for sharing this, Bob.

21 June 2010 @ 08:01 08:01

All thanks go to Smitty for turning me on to Pam Geller’s posting. I had no idea either.

2. 21 June 2010 @ 07:33 07:33

The definition of ‘Christ-like’. R.I.P. Manute

3. 21 June 2010 @ 16:12 16:12

I was privileged to get to know Manute about nine years ago and work with him on various Sudan issues. What a precious man. I am heartbroken for those who love him and for the vast empty place that his leaving this earth has caused. I rejoice that he is with the Lord (NHIALIC in Dinka), that he has no more pain or suffering, and that he now sees in full what we still only see in part in this world of grief.

21 June 2010 @ 17:00 17:00

He will live on as an inspiration.