I Need Your Imput

04 June 2010 @ 09:45

Reader Bob Sykes left me the following message:

Dear Mr. Belvedere,

Will you please turn off “SnapShots?”

This is easily the most annoying useless feature in blogging. The annoyance level is so high that I will stop coming to your site if you leave it turned on.

Yours,

Bob Sykes

Is this happening to you?

Please let me know either way in the Comments Section.

I’m looking into the situation from my end and will report back here later.

I agree with Bob that Snap Shots are very annoying, so my goal is to do what it takes if I can to eliminate them.

1. 04 June 2010 @ 10:12 10:12

Odd… I turned them off at my end. They don’t effect your site when I visit. Methinks it was in a prefs dialogue box somewhere.

2. Lipton T. Bagg permalink
    04 June 2010 @ 12:25 12:25

Bob:

I concur. Trash em….

-LTB

3. 04 June 2010 @ 14:47 14:47

I haven’t been a fan, too many pop up boxes when mousing over blocks your post content. It gets a bit tiresome. If there is a setting on my end then I will address that but otherwise I would suggest turning snapshots off. It’s not like I’m needing to do a bing search when I come to TCOTS. I’m here to read your input. Educate meh oh wizened one!

4. Roxeanne de Luca permalink
    04 June 2010 @ 15:06 15:06

Mouse over the link, and, in the lower right-hand corner, there will be an option to “Turn off Site Previews”. Use it.

5. 04 June 2010 @ 16:22 16:22

Unless the ad revenue is amazing, I’d turn them off. They drive me crazy. But I’ll keep on reading either way.

04 June 2010 @ 16:40 16:40

I don’t make any monies [fiat or otherwise] off of it; WordPress does.

6. 04 June 2010 @ 18:15 18:15

I tried to turn them off on my end as Roxeanne suggests, and ended up with Snap preview boxes without any box contents. Less than the desired result, but such is life. Yes, if you could turn them off that would be preferred, as there are quite a few links, and I seemingly read with my curser.

But as to Mr. Sykes forever forgoing The Camp of the Saints over a mere pittance such as a snap preview, I would remind Mr. Sykes that TCOTS is not for the weak kneed or frail. Good luck to you, my good man! Cheerio! There are plenty of blog sites out there less engaging and interesting. Happy trails!

04 June 2010 @ 19:33 19:33

Thank you for the kind words.

7. FlashIsEvil permalink
    04 June 2010 @ 20:36 20:36

I have no idea what any of you are talking about. I use Firefox with NoScript, Adblock, and Flashblock installed, so my entire web browsing experience, on this site or any other, is free of popups, popunders, popouts, or popanythingelse jumping out at me, running across my screen, or otherwise raising my blood pressure, no dancing clowns in the margins either. If you folks are going to allow your browsers to have unprotected intercourse with every web site you visit, it’s your own fault if you catch something!

8. 04 June 2010 @ 22:03 22:03

I hates ’em. Wish Gator would turn ’em off.

9. FlashIsEvil permalink
    05 June 2010 @ 01:58 01:58

C’mon Cicero, what are we here? A bunch of lefties that have to have someone else take care of our problems for us? Turn ’em off from your end – see my remarks above. I know you know how to use a web browser! I hate that Bobby B had to make a tribute to the WordPress Mafia just to get rid of them, when people can easily block them from their browser. Sheesh! Use protection!

05 June 2010 @ 14:04 14:04

One of my concerns was the first-time visitor getting turned-off by the damn Snap Shots, ‘first impression’ and all that. I know my regular readers are smart enough to figure out how to turn that foolish thing off [and I know Irish Cicero always uses proper protection as he is the descendant of the Trojans (and the Spartans, I believe)]

05 June 2010 @ 14:11 14:11

Regarding the WordPress folks: I have no problem paying for the privilege of having no ads. They have been kind enough to provide me with a free site with a lot of great features and they have to genereate revenue somehow in order to be able to offer this free hosting and storage. This is the free market at it’s best: both sides in the transaction benefit from the deal.

• FlashIsEvil permalink
        05 June 2010 @ 21:23 21:23

Of course, never speak ill of the mafia. It’s “unhealthy”. 🙂

06 June 2010 @ 17:01 17:01

What ‘mafia’? There is no Mafia.

• FlashIsEvil permalink
          06 June 2010 @ 17:07 17:07

Of course not! How foolish of me. What could I have been thinking?

10. 05 June 2010 @ 07:38 07:38

I agree. They are annoying and am also grateful that you brought this out because I didn’t realize I could turn them off from my end. Too lazy I guess, or it wasn’t that important. Now I know. Thanks!

11. 05 June 2010 @ 14:02 14:02

Flash!

I’m ashamed to report I didn’t know you could do that.

Thanks for the timely comeuppance.

I feel a totty coming on.

05 June 2010 @ 14:06 14:06

And don’t feel guilty about having that urge, my friend, because somewhere in the world it’s always Happy Hour!

1. TCOTS Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Ads! « The Camp Of The Saints