Listen To One Who Knows… [Updated below]

25 March 2010 @ 11:30

Over at Michelle Malkin’s place [where he’s guest blogging while she is on vacation], Val Prieto related this story of a conversation he and his Cuban exile father had several months ago [worth quoting at length]:

As Dad and I are catching up, the big news of the day was being reported on TV. The government had just taken over GM and the talking head anchor kept mentioning how unprecedented it was and how thousands of jobs would be saved and how GM would now turn around and yadayadayada.

At that moment Dad lets out a sigh, looks over at me and asks me to hand him the remote.

I look at him kinda funny. He always lets me have the remote when I’m there. He extends his big, calloused hand towards me and asks for the remote again.

I hand the thing over to him, he points it, turns off the TV and says “Bah. I’ve seen this movie before.”

Dad’s a Cuban exile, so he knows a little something about the Nationalization of businesses and government intrusion.

There’s a brief moment of silence between us, then the old man sighs again, puts his big welder’s hand on my arm and squeezes just a bit. “Listen to what I’m about to tell you,” he says. “Prevent or lament.”

I think we have another rallying cry, Wolverines…

UPDATE on 26MAR2010 at 0949…

-DaTechguy was kind enough to link this posting and comments:

Have you ever noticed that people who escape totalitarian systems always seem to turn up on the right?

-The Classic Liberal posting the Prevent Or Lament banner over at The Resistance.

-Thanks Pete and Mike for spreading the word and the slogan.

1. 25 March 2010 @ 14:16 14:16

My old man will have tears in his eyes when I show him that new graphic.

thank you, Bob.

25 March 2010 @ 14:45 14:45

You are very welcome. I was quite moved by your story.

• Adobe Walls permalink
        25 March 2010 @ 16:45 16:45

We need to find a way to get stories like this out to more of the good hearted but less aware in this country people like Vals father and Hyphenated American have much share.

25 March 2010 @ 16:51 16:51

Bang-on.

2. 25 March 2010 @ 17:33 17:33

Great point made. Thanks!

3. 25 March 2010 @ 18:44 18:44

Spreading the good word!

25 March 2010 @ 21:33 21:33

Thanks. I’d like to see that banner start turning up at TEA Partys.

1. Around the blogroll: 3/24/10 Gabriel Iglesias edition « DaTechguy's Blog