A Little Hump Day Rule 5

03 February 2010 @ 20:43

Background: Last week over at Si Vis Pacem, Ran posted another one of his great Retro Rule 5’s, this time celebrating stewardesses in hot pants.  That got The TCOTS Rule 5 Compliance Committee thinking……there was a time, before all the airlines in a sense became budget airlines, and flying was one of the grand luxuries in life.  It was an age when all the stewardesses were young and beautiful and enticed you aboard with the words ‘Come fly me’ and the skies were always friendly.  Therefore The Committee has decided to honor…

The STEWARDESSES of FLYING’S GOLDEN AGE…

All thanks go to Ran for the inspiration.

1. 03 February 2010 @ 21:06 21:06

Mfwrlphumphrspe!

2. 03 February 2010 @ 21:26 21:26

Thanks, with interest!

3. David R. Graham permalink
    04 February 2010 @ 04:03 04:03

Glad that Up Up And Away TWA got in there. In the right rear is a gold costume with a high collar. This was actually paper, not cloth, cinched at the waist with a paper belt, a bit more substantial than a modern medical gown turned frontwards, and all designer, but the same concept! It was highly revealing in ordinary body movement and slips beneath were not the rule. It was amazing, startling in fact. They were over the top by the standards of the day and certainly would be today. TWA did not keep them in action long. The Stewardesses probably made complaints, but that’s speculation on my part. Anyway, that uniform was short-lived in service, and highly memorable!

The PSA uniforms were stunning in person, the colors gorgeous, mimicked Modrian, who was popular at the time, and also Givenchy.

The University of Redlands Choir sang the Palestrina Missa Brevis, a cappella, spontaneously and without our director (all 150 of us) in the PSA terminal at SFO waiting to return to LAX. Spring 1965. It was glorious. All the businesses emptied immediately, including the bars, and were enchanted. Hundreds of people stopped to listen. We were under a high-ceilinged area of the terminal so the acoustics were superb! The Choir was in ecstasy. Then on the PSA 727 home to LAX, the Stewardesses (as they were known in those days) said they heard about the Missa Brevis and asked if we would sing it for them. 30K feet, probably the highest altitude evah for Palestrina. As I recall, we also sang some Dale Wood and Byrd, but can’t say for sure that we did. The Palestrina for sure. Most enchanting music I have ever sung.

I recognize fondly all the uniforms except the Air Bahama ones, never was on it, didn’t see ads for it. The second from the last is American, TWA or PSA, can’t remember which, but I remember the uniform vividly. Probably American, but can’t say for sure.

The finest single airline commercial of those days, IMO, was Braniff’s with a series of celebrities exiting a Braniff aircraft onto the old roll-up stairs one walked down from the plane to the tarmac and, as they emerged from the door onto the top landing of the stairs, saying to the camera, “If you got it, flaunt it!” The two celebrities I remember were Joe Namath and Salvador Dali. Salvador I seem to recall was last and stole the show.

But Namath was top of his game at the time and everybody’s cynosure — that Super Bowl drill of a jumping pass into the hands of Maynard in the endzone, winning the game. The only thing like it then was Secretariat at Belmont. Namath to Maynard and Secretariat were in a class by themselves, superhumans and superequine. Once in a generation, if one is lucky. I think most through the centuries never experience that intensity of divinity. In the music world we had Glenn Gould and close behind Sviatoslav Richter, and then Karl Richter. The only contemporary approaching their class is Garrick Ohlsson.

Rock and Roll and everything like it can piss up a rope. There’s no art there — well, Elvis was an exception early on — just drugs.

Anyhow, I babble. The Stewardesses then were beautiful. And we dressed to fly. It was very expensive and one dressed the same way one dressed for church. To confirm that, look at the PanAm boarding sequence in McQueen’s Bullitt, from the same era, when American were proud of themselves and resolved to solve their problems and beat down bullies — and dressed to go in public, especially on an airplane!!!

Goddamn the academic faculties for wrecking this nation!

I much appreciate your featuring how people looked then. The modern world needs a chance to see what beauty looks like. It’s hardly found now. Then was before drugs took hold and spread everywhere, including to the current White House and Cabinet offices. Drugs, step parents and free association of the sexes defaced and destroyed the United States. US citizens used to be pretty and handsome to look at, eloquent, attractive representatives of feminine and the masculine beauty, at least the great majority of them. And they tried to be pretty and handsome rather than glamorous. I wish I knew how to describe the difference.

Now ugly people and ugly things are considered glamorous and glamorous is considered the norm. It’s nothing. It is all due to the deadening influence of drugs, free association of the sexes and step parents.

It is heroic and good of you to show how beautiful the United States has been to people who have not experienced her so. Humanity truly is divine and sub-humanity truly is ugly. Americans have a heritage of being beautiful, part of the benefit of our genetic mixing from various regions and sub-regions of the world. We should be proud of it and foster it.

04 February 2010 @ 08:30 08:30

Thank you for the kind words, Rev. And what a wonderful memory you are able to recall–I envy you.

The motto of this site is: Celebrating And Defending Western Civilization. I do enjoy celebrating those days when Americans dressed well in public and private out of respect for their fellow Americans and their families and friends, respectively. And conducted themselves with less vulgarity in all its forms. Nothing makes me more mad than to go to a wake and find people dressed as if they were painting a barn. Mrs. B. and I always dress for such occasions out of respect for the deceased and the family. Since I began working in an office nearly twenty-five years ago, I have always worn a three-piece suit to work and have, therefore, always been considered eccentric.

The first flight I ever took was at the tender age of eight in 1969. My parents made me wear a suit and tie and my best shoes for the two-hour flight to Florida. The flight was on Eastern Airlines and I wish I had been able to find pictures of the way their stewardesses dressed then because their attire was quite lovely. I was thrilled by it all. The gals looked like The Golddiggers come to life and I fell madly in love with the dark-haired stewardess that was assigned to our row.

A people that do not take pride in their appearance and their conduct are a people that are in decline, heading toward depravity. To quote myself:

Debauchery is something that should only be practiced by those who understand the limits to which it can be taken, who appreciate it is not the grant of full license. Anything straying beyond these limits is depravity and this can lead to madness. The practitioner must also realize, both by instinct and by reasoning, that debauchery must be kept in the shadows, kept away from those, the vast majority, who lack the necessary and proper understandings, least these souls be tempted beyond their limits. For if they are, they will pass directly into depravity.

4. 04 February 2010 @ 12:28 12:28

“Debauchery is something that should only be practiced by those who understand the limits to which it can be taken…”

Yeah, I recall a Marquis de something having said it – in French, if memory serves…? Sade that I don’t recall completely. Up late too many nights. [cough]

04 February 2010 @ 13:26 13:26

Hey Ran, don’t torture yourself over it…..unless you enjoy that kind of thing.

5. 04 February 2010 @ 20:38 20:38

Ah memories. JFK to LAX (and back) in a Pan Am 747. Upstairs at the piano bar, sipping some good scotch. Flying was civilized back then. One time I got to LAX late because of traffic and found out that they held the plane for me (because I’d checked in with the Pan Am desk at the hotel). That’s service!

United’s DC-10’s “transcon” flights were nothing to sneeze at either. One flight I remember we had to kill come time going into LAX so the pilot asked if he could do figure eights over the Grand Canyon. I was invited up into the cockpit to look out the front windows – what a sight! – and spent about 20 minutes sitting in the 3rd chair (you can sit there but don’t push any buttons!) just marveling at how awesome it was.