04 July 2014 – ‘Commitment!’

04 July 2014 @ 00:01

I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will triumph in that Days Transaction, even although We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.

—John Adams, letter to Abigail Adams, 03 July 1776

In these dark times for The American Republic, when the majority of our fellow citizens don’t seem to give a damn, I feel compelled to join John Adams in asking certain questions:

[quoting Geo. Washington] Is anybody there? / Does anybody care?’
Does anybody see what I see?

They want to me to quit; they say
John, give up the fight
Still to England I say
Good night, forever, good night!
For I have crossed the Rubicon
Let the bridge be burned behind me
Come what may, come what may

Commitment!

The croakers all say we’ll rue the day
There’ll be hell to pay in fiery purgatory
Through all the gloom, through all the gloom
I see the rays of ravishing light and glory!

Is anybody there? Does anybody care?
Does anybody see what I see?

I see fireworks! I see the pageant and
Pomp and parade
I hear the bells ringing out
I hear the cannons roar
I see Americans – all Americans
Free forever more

How quiet, how quiet the chamber is
How silent, how silent the chamber is

Is anybody there? Does anybody care?
Does anybody see what I see?

OUTLAW.

1. 04 July 2014 @ 07:38 07:38

If MSNBC were around then no doubt they would call the founding fathers “Teabaggers” who were “waging war on women.”

2. 04 July 2014 @ 08:03 08:03

Reblogged this on That Mr. G Guy's Blog.

• 04 July 2014 @ 18:08 18:08

Thanks, Mike. And a Happy Independence Day to you and your Much Better Half.

3. 04 July 2014 @ 12:37 12:37

Great lyrics, and more pertinent these days than I’d care to admit.
    However, King George wasn’t half the tyrant that Barack seems intent on being. No question that numerous lines from this show would be far more applicable today than the period for which they were written.

***BTW: Of the roughly 400+ various stage productions which I’ve seen in my life (ranging from Broadway, to off-Broadway, to civic and local theater), ‘1776’ is still one of my favorites.
    If anyone can get through “Does anybody Care” without a chill up their spine, or “Mama, Look Sharp” without a tear escaping their eye, …well, they’re a much more stalwart individual than I.
    The movie was a pale reflection of the stage show: not bad, but not nearly as stirring or powerful. If you ever have an opportunity to see it done ‘live’, do it.

And Happy Independence Day, Bob…….

• 04 July 2014 @ 18:05 18:05

-A Happy Independence Day to you, as well.

-I was very fortunate to see the Roundabout’s revival of 1776 in New York in 1998, which featured Brent Spiner as John Adams. While the song your reference, Committment, always, as with you, sends a chill up my spine, I must admit that so does Sit Down John. The first time the chorus of delegates let loose sends the waves up my back and always makes me smile.

-While King George and his Ministers were clearly rather ruthless Tyrants, I agree with you that they ain’t got nothin’ on The Jarrett Junto and their allies in the Congress. At least the British paid some fealty to Humanity, whereas the Left In America cares not at all for anything Decent or Virtuous.

• 04 July 2014 @ 18:08 18:08

By the way: Mrs. B. and I just watched 1776 on TCM, and I feel invigorated – at least for a few hours until the gravity of our situation pulls me down again. Trying to never give into the Mortal Sin of Despair is an ever-harder Temptation to resist, but we must continue to do so. I suppose if I was a more Religious Man it would be easier – I have to work on that.

• 07 July 2014 @ 08:49 08:49

I feel the same way after I view that show, Bob: invigorated. There were so many hurdles to overcome, and yet they somehow managed.
        It was a miracle.

Personally speaking, it’s my faith that keeps me going now, long after the glow of the movie has faded, and when its lyrics are no longer on my lips. Faith, in concert with plain virtue and dazzling courage, is largely what our founders used for “fuel”.

And without it, I fear we’re trying to fight a (in many ways) more difficult battle today without one of our most essential, and powerful, weapons.

4. 06 July 2014 @ 21:44 21:44

I love 1776! I just got to see it on stage a couple of months ago. I laughed and cried and got goosebumps and enjoyed every minute.

I also recently watched the 2008 miniseries about John Adams — it’s been on my shelf for a while, but I hadn’t had time to watch it, as it runs almost nine hours. It’s really very good; definitely worth the time it takes to watch. (Not suitable for children, however.)

1. Joan Rivers Calls Michelle O a ‘Tranny’ | Regular Right Guy