Down Low In The Rabbit Hole

29 June 2013 @ 15:21

From Mark Steyn, we learn:

In 2011, I mentioned that USDA was dispatching crack field agents to poke around the back yards of children’s magicians on the off-chance they might be using rabbits on stage. Two years on, Bunny Team Six has come up with a new hare-brained scheme to take the magic out of our lives. Sure, it’s impressive when a conjurer pulls a rabbit out of his hat, but let’s face it, it’s not as impressive as a federal bureaucrat pulling a new regulation out of his butt:

My USDA rabbit license requirement has taken another ridiculous twist. I just received an 8 page letter from the USDA, telling me that by July 29 I need to have in place a written disaster plan, detailing all the steps I would take to help get my rabbit through a disaster, such as a tornado, fire, flood, etc. They not only want to know how I will protect my rabbit during a disaster, but also what I will do after the disaster, to make sure my rabbit gets cared for properly.  I am not kidding–before the end of July I need to have this written rabbit disaster plan in place, or I am breaking the law.

The magician, Marty Hahne, has been given until July 29th to submit his cottontail disaster-relief plan in the event that a tornado strikes his top hat, and to provide proof that he and his wife are trained to implement the plan. How much further down the rabbit hole can America go?

The Darkest Depths of Mordor run deep, so, to answer your question MS: there’s still a long ways to fall.

Welcome to the new Dark Ages.

Welcome to the Jungle.

1. 29 June 2013 @ 15:39 15:39

Reblogged this on Two Heads are Better Than One and commented:
    Consider this a “two-fer”, on a day when I’m buried in home DIY projects.

Mark Steyn is ALWAYS worthwhile, and Mark’s witty observations are brought to us via Bob Belvedere and HIS wonderful blog, ‘The Camp Of The Saints’.

Two-fer-One: you can’t pass up an opportunity like that!

• 29 June 2013 @ 17:26 17:26

You’re very kind – Thank You.

• 29 June 2013 @ 17:41 17:41

My pleasure, Bob. I don’t get over here nearly often enough, but am always glad when I do.

Plus, your observation is 100% correct:
        as sad as it is to say, we DO have quite a bit farther to fall.

God help us…

2. 29 June 2013 @ 16:30 16:30

Sigh.

3. Adjoran permalink
    01 July 2013 @ 00:48 00:48

I’m guessing Team Obama wouldn’t appreciate my disaster plan: “Find a new rabbit.”

Hey, show business is like that. Tell me Hollywood has a disaster plan for Lindsay Lohan! Of course not, aging substance-abusing starlets aren’t exactly in short supply. Well, neither are rabbits.

Come to think of it, have you ever SEEN Lindsay Lohan and a rabbit in the same room at the same time?

4. 01 July 2013 @ 23:57 23:57

I tried to look at Snopes.com and Truth or Fiction.com for the info:USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Agents, and I did not get any results.
    Any suggestions?
    Dave

1. USDA REPORTEDLY ORDERS CHILDREN’S MAGICIAN TO PRODUCE ‘DISASTER PLAN’ FOR HIS RABBIT | The Bold Truth
  2. Down Low In The Rabbit Hole | Two Heads are Better Than One