Pope Benedict To Abdicate* [Updated Below]

11 February 2013 @ 07:23

From the BBC, we learn:

Pope Benedict XVI is to resign at the end of this month in an unexpected development, saying he is too old to continue at the age of 85.

He became Pope in 2005 following John Paul II’s death.

Resignations from the papacy are not unknown, but this is the first in the modern era, which has been marked by pontiffs dying while in office.

Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti is quoted as saying he is “greatly shaken by this unexpected news”.

The BBC’s Alan Johnston in Rome says the news has come “out of the blue”, and that there was no speculation whatsoever about the move in recent days.

A Vatican spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi, said that even the Pope’s closest aides did not know what he was planning to do and were left “incredulous”.

Here’s the Pope’s full statement:

Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonisations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church.

After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.

I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering.

However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to steer the boat of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me.

For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects.

And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff.

With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.

This is a sad thing as this man was one of the few leaders of The West who understood the dangers we face – he ‘got it’.

God bless him.

UPDATE at 2013…

-Stacy McCain filed a report this morning that he has updated several times.

-Devout Catholic Pete DaTechGuy has an aggregation going over at his place with many updates.

-Of course, The Jug-Eared Wonder Clown had to make the abdication about hisself, as Twitchy documents.

-The ‘Pope Truthers’ have emerged and, as is to be expected, they’re being lead by a git and a twit.

-Some ‘D List’ actor named Joe Rogan wins the award for most vile comments.

-The vast majority of disgusting commentary has come from the Left, but some has come from those pitiable souls on the Right who still believe The Church, the Papists, to be the greatest evil in the world.  Daria DiGiovanni comments [her webpage; her Twitter page]:

Well this has certainly brought out the Catholic bigotry not only among the left but among some of my conservative non-Catholic friends. Disappointing and disheartening to say the least. We may disagree on some matters of faith but I believe we have more in common than in opposition. If only some of them could afford me the same respect I demonstrate toward their denomination of Christianity. But I guess I’m just a descendent in the long line of “Hitler Youth to the Vatican” as someone on Ted Cruz’s Facebook thread noted. I expect utter depravity from the left, but when people on the right exhibit similar attitudes, it’s beyond upsetting.

Indeed, it is.  The fact of the matter is: if you are truly concerned about preserving The West and all it stands for then, despite the fact that you might be a Protestant or Jewish, you know that The Catholic Church is one of the pillars Western Civilization stands on.

-Non-Catholic Jeff Goldstein has a better understanding of The Church than those bigoted fools [and all the CINO's who are ensconced in their cafeterias]:

Me, I’m not a Catholic, so I lack the authenticity to pronounce on such things, but from my perspective, it is the very idea that there is settled Church doctrine that gives the religion its claim to faith.  Whereas a desire to see the religion adopt to certain personal lifestyles — so that those who engage in practices that fall outside of Church doctrine can continue to belong — strikes me as completely self-indulgent, and more befitting entry barriers into a country club than a faith.

Brilliant.

-How about I end this on two humorous notes…

=Over at The Other McCain, Friend In The Ether K-Bob comments:

The headline you should have used is:

Pope Joins Millions Leaving Workforce Under Obama

=This Tweet from Brad Dayspring will resonate with anyone who was brought-up Catholic:

-I am hoping to compose a post in the next few days on the dangers faced by The Roman Catholic Church.

____________________________________
*The word I originally used in the title was ‘Resign’
but, as McGehee pointed out, he is a monarch [part
of his official title is: Sovereign of the State of
Vatican City].

1. 11 February 2013 @ 07:57 07:57

I’m not Roman Catholic, but do find this story interesting. I’m glad to see that he realizes he can’t keep going as he is and wants to retire. It might have been better if his predecessor had done so as well.

The aspect that holds the most interest in this matter is the St. Malachy prophecy. According to that, the next Pope is the last before the end. Interesting times.

2. Latigo Gates permalink
    11 February 2013 @ 07:58 07:58

Yes, he certainly did “Get It” Mr. B.

On December 3rd 2012 this head of a corrupt and degenerate institution, not the true believers of their faith, called for One World Government, One Word Currency, and One World Religion. The Vatican store was recently NOT allowed to have customers use their credit cards, this order from the central banks, due to the corruption of the financing records, massive money laundering,by the Vatican.

Imagine, central banks think you are too corrupt…

Believe it, we are evolving into a de-centralization of these massively corrupt govts., central banks, and religious institutions. A little bit here and a little bit there, freedom for mankind from the sociopathic institutions of our enslavement is coming.

P.S. Time to drop kick FaceBook out of our lives, a totally unnecessary evil, and easily replaced by other less corrupt social media sites.

3. M. Thompson permalink
    11 February 2013 @ 14:15 14:15

I am not a Catholic (it’s transubstantiation, among other things), but I am disgusted with some of the things people have said about him. If you’ve got nothing nice to say, say nothing.

It makes you look smarter.

4. indyjonesouthere permalink
    11 February 2013 @ 14:36 14:36

A good man on a mission to save souls. I can find no fault in that at all.

5. 11 February 2013 @ 20:44 20:44

Thank you for quoting me here Bob. I am looking forward to your forthcoming post on this topic as I plan to write one as well after the Catholic-bashing I’ve witnessed over the past week. If only our Christian brethren could demonstrate some respect, even while disagreeing with certain tenets of faith, how much better off we would be. Not only do many of them trash Catholicism, but they promulgate outright lies like Catholics equate Mary with God, or that we worship statues (I am not kidding). They don’t seem to understand the difference between honoring Mary as the Mother of Jesus and saying “yes” to God under indescribably dangerous circumstances, given the times she lived in, and actual worship. On the second point, it seems lost on many that a statue is a representation of something else, e.g. Jesus, Mary, Joseph.

With Islamists out to destroy us all, it would be nice if they could stay focused on our similarities and remain united against evil.

6. 12 February 2013 @ 16:57 16:57

Although I have received many messages of support and encouragement, I regretfully announce that I will not be a candidate in the Papal election.
    But seriously…
    All credit to the pontiff for retiring if he feels unable to carry on. John Paul II, although a noble man, was clearly hampered by his infirmities during his last years.

• 12 February 2013 @ 18:57 18:57

-I would have voted for you – an Aussie Pope, think of it! – although I would have insisted you take the name Bruce I.

-My understanding is John Paul The Great still had a functioning mind, whereas, its seems, the Pope is having issues with that.

• 13 February 2013 @ 04:40 04:40

Another friend says “Pope Gregory of Perth has a nice ring to it.”
        But Bruce I would probably be the first option, since there’s already been a Gregory The Sixth.
        Gregory The Sixth The Second, perhaps?

7. 13 February 2013 @ 00:25 00:25

My first reaction of the Pope Benedict’s resignation was one of sadness.However,it did not take long for that sadness to turn to anger and finding myself in a position of having to defend this kind,humble man who has dedicated his life to our Catholic church.Benedict,XVI at the age of 78 ,though reluctantly, succeeded his close friend John Paul II as the Bishop of Rome.He witnessed his friend suffer for his last few years who in the end became passive in his leadership due his illness.Benedict is an intellectual giant,his style differs much from that of the popular JP II ,who reigned for 26 years,having been elected Pope in his 50’s.Benedict took over as an wise,but old man,and the times he was being unfairly compared to JP II were far too numerous.Non Catholics would often complain about the current conservative Pope who went strictly by the doctrine of the Catholic Church.His heritage made him easy prey for insensitive Nazi remarks,which of course were ignorant and plain false.Benedict, being of sound mind,realized that at an advanced age challenges such as oversees trips to World Youth Day,excessive travel and exhausting itineraries are more suited for a younger man.It was both humble and courageous to do what had not been done for 600 years,and do so for the good of the Church.The ignorant remarks from Christians were particularly hurtful and unnecessary.To call us non Christian is offensive and plain hateful.We have special affection for Mary,the Mother of Jesus Christ,our Lord and Savior.I don’t for the life of me understand why so many self righteous Pro Life Christians would have a problem with that.Mary was special,she was free of sin,that’s why God chose her.Why can’t we honor her?We as Catholics are traditional and take our faith seriously and rejoice in the Universal Church,which is the same all over the world.Any of those who doubt that the Catholic Church is the true original church,please refer to the following :” AND SO I SAY TO YOU,YOU ARE PETER,AND UPON THIS ROCK I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH.” Matthew 16:18…That alone ought to be proof enough that we are the true original Church.Peter by the way,was the first Pope,and Benedict is his successor,# 215..We will miss him dearly.

1. Catholic Church Searches For New Leader As Pope Benedict Abdicates | That Mr. G Guy's Blog
  2. On Papal Resignations and Anti-Catholic Bigotry : Daria DiGiovanni