National Hot Toddy Day!

11 January 2013 @ 19:49

My friends at Maker’s Mark have just reminded me that today is National Hot Toddy Day.

Nothing like a Hot Toddy on a cold and chilly evening or if you or a loved one have got a bug.

The folks at MM offer-up this recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 ounce brandy, whisk(e)y, Bourbon or rum
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/4 lemon
  • hot water
  • tea bag, optional
  • cinnamon stick for garnish, optional
  • lemon wheel for garnish, optional

DIRECTIONS:

1. Coat the bottom of an Irish coffee glass or ceramic mug with the honey.
  2. Add the brown spirit of your choice.
  3. Add the freshly squeezed juice of the lemon quarter.
  4. Separately, heat the water in a tea kettle.  (Option: Add the tea bag to make hot tea.)
  5. Pour the steaming water (or tea) into the glass.
  6. Stir.  (Option: Stir with a cinnamon stick.)
  7. Sip, savor and enjoy!

My famous [a least, to Mrs. B] Hot Toddy recipe is:

-Brew your favorite tea [I would recommend Earl Grey, but any will do, even Lipton]

-In a coffee mug, pour in a 1/3 mixed bourbon [I recommend Maker’s Mark because it’s smooth]

-Pour tea in mug to 1/4″ from the top and stir

-Squeeze in 1/4 of a lemon

-Add either 1 1/2 teaspoons of honey or, if you can get it, honey on a stick [Mrs. B’s favorite]

-Stir

-Serve to your patient [if she’s a female, perform a chest exam just to make sure she’s okay]

1. Adobe_Walls permalink
    11 January 2013 @ 21:19 21:19

Speaking of bourbon do they make it in NH? Something to think about when bourbon and other spirits become strictly a local product.

2. 11 January 2013 @ 21:56 21:56

My day started when I left for work at 7:15 am, and I’m still on the road. Definitely need one of these when I get home…..

• 12 January 2013 @ 15:50 15:50

Glad to hear from you, Roxe. E-mail me when you get a chance over the coming week or so and let me know how you’ve been. Older brother Bob needs to know.

3. 12 January 2013 @ 12:46 12:46

If she slaps you when you perform the last step, does that mean she’s OK?

4. Rosalie permalink
    12 January 2013 @ 18:37 18:37

Your recipe sounds delicious – and I’m sure it’s very medicinal too.