Sugar Nanny

03 December 2012 @ 18:01

Back on 23 November, The Washington Post published a post by Joann Weiner on what Larry Summers said to a group of economists.

This part of the post, when I heard it read on the radio, almost caused me to mow down the first car with a Leftist bumper sticker on it I saw:

As the nation marches steadily toward the fiscal cliff, President Obama’s former chief economist Lawrence H. Summers says once that crisis is averted, policymakers should begin debating ideas like taxing carbon and high-fat foods.

As for taxing sugary treats, he said, “Mark my words, this one will come.” Just as the sharp increase in tobacco taxes has led to “700,000 fewer deaths a year,” Summers believes that the “overwhelming evidence” that sugary snacks are a cause of diabetes and cardiovascular disease and perhaps premature death means that one day there will be a tax on these junk foods that will have the same impact that the tobacco tax has had….

[To her credit Mzzz. Weiner points out how such taxes have had ‘a very short shelf life’ in other countries.]

I hope you bastards out there who were in favor of banning smoking and taxing it more are happy [especially you arseholes on the Right].   The Leftist Nannies are now going to come after sugar, as they have begun to come at other things such as salt and sodas.

By your decision not to fight the first battle, by letting them win the initial engagement, you gave the Left the ammunition [the precedent, the standing] it needed to go after everything else we put in our bodies.

We warned you sons of bitches that this was about Power and Control, about Serfdom, and you didn’t listen.

I hope you like your Brave New World.

1. M. Thompson permalink
    03 December 2012 @ 21:19 21:19

I’ll find a substitute. If I can’t get my sugar and caffeine from a Coke, I’ll start drinking tea more, and taking loads of sugar packets at restaurants.

Never underestimate the ability for people to passively circumvent bans.

• M. Thompson permalink
      03 December 2012 @ 21:27 21:27

Also, I’m only four and a half hours from Canada. And watch, the just across the border liquor stores in Arizona and New Mexico will end up providing a lot of the stuff with the surtax as well.

2. bob sykes permalink
    04 December 2012 @ 07:11 07:11

The Dims are more likely to reimpose prohibition than legalize marijuana.

• thecampofthesaints permalink
      04 December 2012 @ 07:35 07:35

I wonder if the Left’s support for weed legalization isn’t because they see it like a version of Soma from Brave New World.

• Adobe_Walls permalink
        04 December 2012 @ 10:08 10:08

Perhaps Pot and other drugs should be legalized it would free up the smuggling routes for sugar and cigars.

• thecampofthesaints permalink
          04 December 2012 @ 12:09 12:09

There’s a corridor between North Carolina and NYC that is quite busy in cigarette smuggling, from what I hear.