The Fallout Has Begun…
Welcome to the societal version of Nuclear Winter…
William Jacobson is worth quoting in full:
This Is What Fear Of The State Looks Like
When companies self-censor to wait until the days after the election to announce major layoffs.
Via commenter conservativegram in the Tip Line:
As Drudge would say-”Own it!”
In Past 48 hrs, following companies announded layoffs: Caterpillar, CVPH Medical Center, Lightyear Haqwker Beechcraft, Westinghouse, Research in Motion, US Cellular, Commerzbank, Iberia, ING, Ericsson, Bristol-Myers, Corning, Boston Scientific, Abbott Labs and St. Jude.
“Energizer Holdings Inc. will reduce its global workforce by more than 10 percent — or about 1,500 employees — as the company closes three manufacturing plants and streamlines other operations.”
“As Twitchy reported in September, the Obama administration made moves to encourage defense contractors to delay layoff announcements until after the election, offering to reimburse contractors for any legal costs incurred in not informing their affected employees. Lockheed Martin seemingly took the offer, and today, Boeing announced it would be cutting 30 percent of management positions.”
And, of course—–”Unexpectedly: Stocks Suffer Heavy Losses Second Straight Day After Election;Analysts Baffled”
The Blaze has a list of post-election announcements for companies large and small. This is just PART of the list, it is much longer:
- Caterpillar Inc. will close its plant in Owatonna Minn.
- Mount Pleasant’s Albrecht Sentry Foods
- The Target store at Manassas Mall Va.
- Millennium Academy in Wake Forest NC
- Target Closing Kissimmee FL Location
- The Andover Gift Shop in Andover MA
- Grand Union Family Markets Closing Storrs Location CT
- Movie Scene Milford Location NH
- Update: TE Connectivity Closing Greensboro Plant – 620 Layoffs Expected
- Gomer’s Fried Chicken in South Kansas City
- Kmart in Homer Glen
- Fresh Market on Pine Street in Burlington
- AGC Glass North America to permanently close its Blue Ridge Plant in Kingsport Tenn.
- The Target store at Platte and Academy in Colorado Springs
- The Roses store on Reynold Road in Winston-Salem NC
- Meanders Kitchen losing its West Seattle location at 6032 California Ave
- Bost Harley-Davidson at 46th Avenue North and Delaware Ave. in West Nashville TN
- Townsend Booksellers in Oakland
- The Kmart store in Parkway Plaza off University Drive in Durham NC – 79 Jobs Lost
Is there any doubt that many of these announcements, at least for the larger companies, were delayed out of fear of retribution from the Obama administration?
The same administration which has bullied defense contractors into not complying with the WARN Act prior to the election. Message sent and received.
Self-censorship is the end result of fear of the State.
One of the commentators over at Legal Insurrection, bnolsen, has posted this analysis:
This was logical. I wonder if any/many of you understand business here. Our future plans depended on the outcome of this election. If Romney got elected we were ready to pull the trigger and prepare for possible expansion of US business. If Obama were elected we would hunker down and try to just survive on what we could and go forward with our international business.
Any management staff worth anything would have already had two plans in action ready for post election. The good ones just pulled the trigger now instead of dragging it out for themselves and their employees.
Mike Hendrix, over at Cold Fury, writes [tip of the fedora to him for the LI post]:
…Bad as all this is, it’s but the tip of the iceberg, folks, as the darkness descends fully and permanently on a once-great nation. May the Moron Majority have joy of their tin God and all his mighty works.
One Quibble, Mike: I would replace ‘tin God’ with ‘Golden Calf’.