How Many Obamas Does It Take To Screw-Up A Light Bulb?

30 May 2012 @ 11:51

So…while handing out a posthumous Medal Of Freedom to a brave Pole who had fought the Nazis, The Smartest Man In The Universe & In History referred to a Nazi Concentration Camp in Poland as the ‘Polish Death Camp’.

As of the composition of this post, the mistake is still up The White House website. Here is the offending paragraph in full [emphasis mine]:

For years, Jan Karski’s students at Georgetown University knew he was a great professor; what they didn’t realize was he was also a hero. Fluent in four languages, possessed of a photographic memory, Jan served as a courier for the Polish resistance during the darkest days of World War II. Before one trip across enemy lines, resistance fighters told him that Jews were being murdered on a massive scale, and smuggled him into the Warsaw Ghetto and a Polish death camp to see for himself. Jan took that information to President Franklin Roosevelt, giving one of the first accounts of the Holocaust and imploring to the world to take action. It was decades before Jan was ready to tell his story. By then, he said, “I don’t need courage anymore. So I teach compassion.”

I was wondering why they would leave this uncorrected and then my Cynical SOB side [I am the Coolest SOB] kicked it and the morning of revelation dawned for me: they’re going to blame the speechwriter for the insult. Hell! It was in the teleprompter that way…what was Obama to do?!? The teleprompter acted stupidly!

For starters: There’s no law that demands you read every damn word that’s on it. Any half-literate would have known just the phrase itself was awkward – how often has anyone who has been paying attention ever heard them referred to as ‘Polish Death Camps’? As Adrienne commented:

How in hell could someone be so dumb as to refer to Polish death camps? In my entire life I have never heard one single mention of "Polish death camps" – because there is no such thing.

Rick Moran:

…The Poles see right through our scholarly president’s pretensions.When a White House spokesman says the president “misspoke,” is he saying that Obama mis-read the teleprompter or some staff flunkie, who probably majored in Holistic Healing or something in college, got it wrong? The fact that the fact checkers and other vetters who are supposed to prevent this sort of thing missed it too does not speak well for the aggregate IQ of the White House staff.

Or the president’s knowledge of history.

After three-plus years, methinks the whole world sees right through the jug-eared wonder.

Love the graphic at the conclusion of Duane Lester’s post on this story.

Dan Collins asks a very important question in a noble quest for some clarity:

Would that be one of the death camps that Obama’s grandfather liberated in Selma or Montgomery, or wherever his parents met? There’s an expression for this kind of person: stupid motherf*cker.

Indeed. Very fitting.

Vodkapundit is seething about Obama’s ‘apology’ [and rightfully so]:

Well isn’t that just dandy. The President himself said about the stupidest, most offensive thing imaginable to an entire people. And by way of apology, SCoaMF has someone nobody has ever heard of explain that of course Teh Won didn’t really make a mistake. He’s the smartest man in the room, don’t you know.

No — Obama screwed (not ate) the pooch on this one. Now he needs to man up and give Poland the apology she deserves

In his post, Stephen provides an excellent summary of the suffering of the Polish People under the Nazis.

As Smitty comments:

God preserve us until we can send this incompetent boob packing….

That’s a tall order.

Over at BuzzFeed, Rosie Gray has put together a good aggregation of reaction to Mr. Superior Intelligence’s remarks [tip of the fedora to Memeorandum].

Also, please click here and check out Chris Wysocki’s take and The Radio Patriot’s here.

SIDENOTE: Mr. Bingley makes a dead-on-balls-accurate observation:

But what really strikes me about this video is how bad, how truly awful Obama is as a speaker. Look at the video: he’s like a robot looking from teleprompter to teleprompter, never makes any attempt to look at the audience, and they’re so far apart all we see are the two sides of his head.

It’s profiles in discourage.

It’s bloody pathetic.

What really, really annoys the living crap out of me is when I hear someone on the Right begin a sentence with: ‘While Obama is a great speaker…’. No, Clyde, he’s not. Never has been nothing more than mediocre. His cadences lack rhythm. He’s head swishing, when he’s reading off a teleprompter, are way too obvious and, ultimately, annoying. His hand gestures would be frowned upon by Toastmasters. He’s bland, dull, uninspiring, and a pablum-puker.

1. Adrienne permalink
    30 May 2012 @ 12:08 12:08

I spent quite a bit of time in Toastmasters International. Obama is one of the worst speakers I’ve ever heard. He ranks right up there with Jimmah Cahter whose weird pauses made what he was saying incomprehensible.

Obama’s dropped “ings”, his faux ghetto jive talk, drawn out annnnnnnnnnnnd’s, and his heavy emphasis on “thaaaaaaaat” are all cringe inducing.

Both he and his wife sound like exactly what they are – trash.

Please make him go away. Please!

• thecampofthesaints permalink
      30 May 2012 @ 13:08 13:08

I’m trying!

2. 30 May 2012 @ 12:30 12:30

I couldn’t agree with you more. I’ve never been able to understand why anyone thinks this guy is a great speaker or an intelligent person. It’s a painfully perfect example of what George W. Bush called the soft bigotry of low expectations: They don’t expect a black man to be eloquent or articulate or intelligent (they’ve apparently never listened to Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, Allen West, or Shelby Steele), so Øbama can be completely mediocre and they think he’s brilliant. Either that, or they’re just petrified of being called racist if they admit what everyone knows, that the emperor has no clothes.

3. Adobe_Walls permalink
    30 May 2012 @ 15:23 15:23

Obama’s reliance on the teleprompters is what causes him to do his “Mussolini” impression as he turns from prompter to prompter. Apparently he can’t remember enough of what he read on the right prompter to pause looking into the camera before swiveling to the left prompter. As Ben Stein said on Larry King’s show after the Ragin Cajun said that “Napoleon had come back after Waterloo” “the reason liberals are doomed to repeat history is because they don’t read it”. I imagine this applies to Obamsky’s speech writers as well as him.

4. Done Gone Galt permalink
    30 May 2012 @ 17:11 17:11

I admit it went right past me without a thought of it being an insult. I heard “Polish Death Camp” without the slightest thought that it implied that the government or people of Poland had any responsibility for its creation or operation but rather that many Polish citizens had been its victims. Of course I don’t claim to be the “Greatest orator and statesman ever to read a teleprompter.”

• Adobe_Walls permalink
      31 May 2012 @ 00:46 00:46

You don’t get paid or have people working for you who get paid to make sure that things like this don’t happen. It’s like stepping on the playing of God Save the Queen last year to make a toast or not knowing the difference between England and Great Britain. I don’t expect Obamsky to know every bit of this stuff himself but they do have protocol droids for this. It isn’t that they merely don’t know any better it’s that they don’t care enough to know any better.

5. M. Thompson permalink
    31 May 2012 @ 00:30 00:30

The Polish people. They helped us in our early hour of need, with men like Casmir Pulaski and Thaddeus Kosciuszko. When the free Poland of Twenty Years Truce was take, the West was unable to help. In support of freedom, they rebelled after 40 years under the Red Czars, and want the friendship of the United States.

And this fool ignores them. There are a few precincts in Illinois he’ll lose this way. I’m just astounded he bloody well forgot.

6. 05 June 2012 @ 18:01 18:01

I realize that this point I am about to make pales in comparison to the important points being made about Poland. However, seeing George W. Bush again this week reminds me why people think Obama is such a great speaker, even though I agree with all that the above commenters have said about Obama. It is even more painful to listen to the George.

• 05 June 2012 @ 19:23 19:23

Quite true. But, I think THE GREATEST SPEAKER EVER KNOWN IN HISTORY is quite painful when he’s off-teleprompter.